In a day packed with so much action that many skippers’ memories were left blurred, Taylor Canfield’s USone Sailing Team streaked out to the early lead at the 68th Argo Group Gold Cup.
Canfield and crew Mike Buckley, Victor Diaz de Leon, Erik Shampain and George Peet won all six of their matches and are the only undefeated team remaining at the $100,000 match racing regatta. Close behind are Joachim Aschenbrenner’s Team TriFork from Denmark with a 6-2 record. Johnie Berntsson’s crew stands third at 5-1 and Lucy MacGregor’s crew from the U.K. is fourth with a 5-3 record.
A total of 35 races were completed today as principal race officer David Campbell-James took advantage of the southerly wind blowing between 10 and 15 knots. With the wind blowing across Hamilton Harbour there were shifts of 20 to 30 degrees at times with many puffs. The steady pace of action left many struggling to recall what had transpired during the day.
ARGO GROUP GOLD CUP STANDINGS (After 7 of 14 flights in Round Robin)
1. Taylor Canfield (Miami, Florida, USA) – 6-0 Crew: Mike Buckley, Victor Diaz de Leon, George Peet, Erik Shampain
2. Joachim Aschenbrenner (Fredensborg, Denmark) – 6-2 Crew: Ian Coleman, Will Mackenzie, Rob Scrivenor
3. Johnie Berntsson (Stennungsund, Sweden) – 5-1 Crew: Oscar Angervall (trimmer), Björn Lundgren (main trim), Robert Skarp (bow/tactics)
4. Lucy MacGregor (Poole, Dorset, United Kingdom) – 5-3 Crew: Bethan Cardin, Hannah Diamond, Annie Lush, Kate MacGregor
5. Nicklas Dackhammar (Gothenburg, Sweden) – 4-2 Crew: Olof Lundgren, Eric Malmberg, Jakob Wilson
6. Charlie Lalumiere (New York, NY, USA) – 3-3 Crew: Scott Ewing, Bleddon Mon, Ian Storck