Oxford Mail OUFC reported that Jonte Smith was a target of Oxford United on the final day of the English Football Association January Transfer Window.
At 7:00pm UK Time – 3:00pm Bermuda Time was the first sign of interest as it was reported the 24-year-old striker, a Bermudan international, could be United signing No 2.
Oxford Mail OUFC reported, “We understand the U's are interested, but nothing is imminent. If it happens it will go close to the deadline.”
Then at 7:09pm UK Time – 3:09 Bermuda Time Oxford Mail OUFC was reporting Jonte Smith's had an interesting career.
Born in Bermuda, for whom he has scored twice in nine senior appearances, he has played in League One before with Crawley Town in 2012/13.
The striker only made four appearances, without scoring, for the Sussex club and has played for a variety of non-league sides since.
He's also had spells in Finland and Norway, before joining Lewes in 2016.
Smith scored 20 goals for Lewes last season and spent time on trial with Swindon Town this season.
At 8:52pm UK Time – 4:52pm Bermuda Time - Oxford Mail OUFC then reported, “You know we said Jonte Smith felt like a 50/50 shot?
Well, it seems like the odds are slipping towards a deal not being done.”
And finally at 9:21pm UK Time – 5:21 Bermuda Time Oxford Mail OUFC reported, “Just had word from Oxford United Football club. Nothing more tonight. Unable to get that Smith deal over the line.”
Cambridge United’s injury concerns haven’t eased up ahead of their trip to Cheltenham Town, Colin Calderwood confirmed.
Cambridge United will once again be without Reggie Lambe for their trip to the Jonny-Rocks Stadium, with Lambe also missing last week's match against Exeter.
Lambe’s progress has been further hampered by the inclement weather, which has limited the squad’s time on the grass at Clare College Sports Ground.
Calderwood said, “Lambe has started to train, so he’ll be a little bit further forward, but hampered by the fact that we haven’t been able to train properly and the way we wanted to on Thursday and Friday.”
Meanwhile Nahki Wells’ Queens Park Rangers and Portsmouth have been charged for failing to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion during the 76th minute of their Emirates FA Cup fixture on Saturday January 26th, 2019.
The altercation happened minutes after Wells had leveled the score at 1 – 1 in their match.
Both clubs have until 6:00 pm on Friday, February 1st 2019 to respond to the charge.